Who is an Audiologist (AUD)?

Audiologist is a hearing healthcare professional, who specializes in:

  • Performing Hearing Assessments
  • Performing Middle Ear Analysis
  • Prescribing and fitting hearing aids
  • Performing Industrial Hearing Screenings,
  • prescribing ear protecting devices & planning hearing conservation programs
  • Performimg pre-op, intra-op & post op cochlear implant management
  • Conducting newborn hearing screening programs
  • Performing electrophysiological assessments such as Otoacoustic Emissions (OAEs) & Auditory Brainstem Responses (ABR)
  • Providing hearing rehabilitation training such as

When do you consult an Audiologist?

You typically have to consult an Audiologist and get your annual hearing assessment done once a year after you turn 40 years of age or when you start noticing any signs of hearing loss.

What are the different signs of hearing loss?

10 commonly seen signs of hearing loss are as follows:

  • Difficulty hearing over the telephone
  • Trouble following the conversation when two or more people are talking at the same time
  • People around you seem to be mumbling (no clarity in speech)
  • You are told frequently that you talk too loudly
  • People complain that you turn the TV volume up too high
  • Have trouble hearing in noisy background
  • Frequently asking people to repeat themselves
  • Misunderstanding what others say and respond incorrectly
  • Having trouble understanding the speech especially of women and children
  • Difficulty locating the source of sound or pointing at the direction of the sound